Saturday, October 13, 2007

Lyrad's Random 10

Everybody knows that The Pixies were a great and influential band; there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said many times. "Planet of Sound" is from Trompe le Monde, there last album, and one generally considered less than their best. I had a late entry onto the Pixies bandwagon, I was too wrapped up in Motley Crue to think about anything else, and it wasn't until I saw a video of their version of Jesus and Mary Chain's "Head On" that I heard of them. I bought this one and, subsequently, the rest which helped greatly in getting me away from the '80s glam fetish (even though I have Power Symphony on this list...I just can't get the cheesy metal out of my veins). Thank you Pixies. In spite of its reputation, it is one of my favorites still, if for no other reason than it was the first, though my favorite album from them is Bossanova, which is often called their worst, so maybe my judgements are just skewed.

1. The Pixies--Planet of Sound
2. Irakere--Bacalao con Pan
3. Blind Willie Johnson--Take Your Stand
4. Ennio Morricone--Acido e charme (from the soundtrack to Trio Infernale)
5. Reverend H.R. Tomlin--Lord, I Just Can't Keep from Crying
6. Henri Lazarof--Necompe (8 Soundscapes) for Percussion; Soundscape 7 (New England Conservatory New Music Ensemble)
7. Tom Waits--Hold On
8. Power Symphony--The Way of the Sword
9. Ray Charles--Hot Rod
10. Roy Smeck--Kalima Waltz