Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lyrad's Random 10

God is one of my all time favorite groups, but has also proved the most elusive. About twelve years ago, I was spending my spring break in Breaux Bridge, LA. The brother of a friend of mine had this album, "The Anatomy of Addiction," by a band called God. It was some of the most bizarre and heavy music I'd ever heard, a combination of free jazz, industrial, and hardcore metal. When I got back to New Mexico, I looked for the album, but couldn't find it. I searched and searched, but there was nothing. For years, any time I found a copy online, the cd was prohibatively expensive, in the $100 range. Finally, when I was in California, I happened upon a used copy of a different God album, "Possession," and bought it. It took me another four years to finally find a reasonably priced copy of "Anatomy," but finally found it about three years ago. My ten year search for this album was well worth the wait; it is than I remember.

God is a supergroup comprised of avant-garde saxophonist Tim Hodgkinson of Henry Cow, Justin Broadrick of Napalm Death and Godflesh, Kevin Martin of Techno Animal, and a great supporting cast. It is very satisfying to have an album which states, "All songs written by God." In recommending the album to as many people as possible, it came as no surprise to see how inaccessible the band is to people; too much jazz for metal fans and way too much metal for jazz fans. Regardless of their feelings, they are wrong. God is, for my money, one of the best bands to ever lay music to tracks.

1. God--On All Fours
2. Memphis Minnie--Lean Meat Won't Fry
3. Had Bennink & Eugene Chadbourne--Corcovado
4. Rolling Stones--Angie
5. Alemayehu Eshete--Tchero Adari Negn
6. Johnny Cash--Old Doc Brown
7. Ennio Morricone--Party Probito (from the soundtrack to I Malamondo)
8. Lyle Lovett--Here I Am
9. Jimmy Bertrand's Washboard Wizards--I Won't Give You None
10. Darkwell--Ladies' Choice