Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mister Trend's Random 10

Despite my love for jazz in the latter half of the 20th century, I really know very little about early jazz. Jelly Roll Morton is one of the first artists I've really listened to from that period, primarily because he's generally acknowledged as being one of the early greats (and apparently credited himself as being the "father" of jazz, though such claims were apparently driven by ego more than fact). From my relatively uninformed standpoint, the music is really fun and interesting, and I enjoy thinking about how drastic the changes in jazz became, comparing Morton's stuff (recorded in the 1920s) to the stuff I really enjoy from the 1960s (Coltrane, Coleman, McPhee, Mingus). I definitely enjoy the latter stuff more on a personal level, but I like Morton fine, too.

1. "All Mine" - Portishead
2. "Can't Hardly Wait" - The Replacements
3. "Provei" - Noel Rosa
4. "What Became of the Likely Lads" - The Libertines
5. "Another Day" - Galaxie 500
6. "Nuit Sur Les Chaps-Elysées" - Miles Davies
7. "Jelly-Roll Blues" - Jelly Roll Morton
8. "If You Were There, Beware" - Arctic Monkeys
9. "Easy Street" - Thelonious Monk
10. "Passagem de Som" - Tom Zé