Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Obama Train Tour

Tomorrow morning, I'm getting up and heading down to Maryland to stay with some friends before the inauguration on Tuesday.

I'm recovering from a cold, so I'm sitting home today watching the whistle stop tour on TV. I didn't go down to catch Barack here in Philly earlier, but I've been watching him since.

I love the symbolism of the train tour. As matttbastard said, it's like they're symbolically doing away with the last 40 years. Plus, trains are cool.

The Obama campaign always understood the importance of symbolism, of performance. Yes, the president has lots of serious things to do, but one of his most important jobs is to stand for us, to represent us, and to reach out to us.

I love Michelle Obama, and Dr. Jill Biden.

And I love listening to Barack. I know he'll screw up over the next four (eight?) years, but I hope he never screws up to the point where I get sick of hearing his voice. I hope I never forget how I feel now, how I've felt over the past couple of months knowing that we did it, we put the Bush era behind us, and how I've felt over the past year working for a candidate that, though he pissed me off at times, I actually trusted to do the right thing.

I'll be in DC tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday, and will be twittering away, so feel free to follow along.

"You proved once more that people who love this country can change it."

Well, Barack, I started trying to change this country long before I felt any love for it. And I'm finally starting to have a bit of faith in it.