Monday, January 19, 2009

Thanks Ralph

This, the last day of the Bush administration, is far and away the best for that very reason. Tomorrow will be a day of celebration. But before we celebrate, let's remember one reason we are in the mess we are in. There are lots of people to point fingers at for the last eight years. In a spirit of bitterness and bile, I want to note that a really long and crooked finger is pointed at the heart of the once great Ralph Nader.

Ralph, I want to thank you for the Patriot Act.

I want to thank you for Iraq.

I want to thank you for torture and the nightmares of Guantanamo.

I want to thank you for the government's incompetence in the aftermath of Katrina.

I want to thank for gutting all the laws you once worked so hard to pass in the fields of consumer safety and environmental protection.

I want to thank you for the nation doing nothing at all to fight global climate change.

I want to thank you for helping to undermine the nation's standing around the world.

Ralph, I just want to thank you for everything you did to fuck this nation over in 2000. Sure, you made a good point about the Democratic Party in the Clinton years. But did you have to let your ego get the best of you and convince you to throw the election to Bush? No doubt he deserves more blame than you. But don't forget your own culpability in creating this nightmare.