Monday, February 07, 2005

Quarter Redesigns--1999

I have been amused for over 5 years now at the quarter redesigns. I like the idea and have liked many of the quarters. But it's funny to see how states try to present themselves to the nation. I thought I might try some alternative designs. I guess Conan O'Brien has been doing this for a long time. But I'd like to think that mine are funnier. Or at least one or two of them will be.

Here's the 1999 states:

Delaware
A question mark with the line, "We don't know why we exist either."

Pennsylvania
A picture of James Buchanan with the line, "America's Worst President"

New Jersey
A picture of an urban wasteland with the line "America's sewer for over 100 years"

Georgia
A screaming Zell Miller with the words "Wisdom Justice Moderation"
The words are from an actual finalist for the Georgia quarter. Zell wasn't on there though.

Connecticut
A suburban home, a tough urban street, and a farm all mixed up.
The line: "We've lost our identity. Could you help us?"

OK, these weren't that funny. I haven't lived in the northeast so it's hard. Could you come up with Pennsylvania or Connecticut jokes? But bear with me. The quarters for the West and South will be both more funny and more brutal. I hope. I do like the Georgia one though.