Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Price of Gasoline

I guess I have to hope that the price of gasoline keeps rising. I know that's an unpopular thing to say. But given that the current price hike has made ZERO impact on consumption, I guess that says that these prices should keep on going. I wonder what the level is that oil prices will start negatively affecting the economy. At this point, my guess is around $85 or so a barrel. But then again, a year ago I certainly would have said that $65 or so would be wrecking the economy, so it shows what I know. The personal sucky part is that my wife and I want to travel soon and plane tickets are crazy expensive. But even that I don't think is going to stop us from doing so, so I guess we are contributing to the consumption in big ways ourselves.

One question, and I am far from an economist so I don't know the answer, but how the hell is the Chinese economy able to pay for these kind of oil prices? I would think that they will blink before we will on consumption, but I'm starting to wonder.