Friday, April 04, 2008

Help Chris Gaffney

Lyrad and I are both huge fans of the Hacienda Brothers. Lyrad's review of their show in Denton last year elicited a comment from one of the band members. I saw them a couple of days later and they were absolutely fantastic.

Sadly, their lead singer, the great Chris Gaffney, has severe liver cancer. He will be on intensive chemo for the rest of the year. I don't know what that means, but I suspect it is pretty grim.

I don't usually do these things, but I want to encourage readers to donate a little bit to Gaffney. He needs about $60,000 to cover what his insurance won't. They have about $20K now, so word is getting out.

Gaffney and the Hacienda Brothers are one of the 5 best bands in America today. Their combination of country and soul is amazing. If you haven't heard them, go to the i-tunes or whatever you use. Buy "Cowboys to Girls" off their latest album, What's Wrong With Right and then buy "Mental Revenge" off their self-titled debut. If you like those songs, buy the albums and then donate a bit of money to Gaffney's cancer treatment. I'm giving $25.

If you don't like those songs, you probably don't have good taste in music.