Sunday, May 03, 2009

Things I Don't Get (V): The Idea of the Super Bowl in London

Yes, that's right - there are early reports that the Super Bowl may end up in London some way down the road. While I think the American population really overrates the value of the Super Bowl within the sports world, there's no denying it's popularity. To be (temporarily) fair, Goodell insists that the NFL hasn't and will not consider the idea of hosting the Super Bowl in London sometime soon. Still, even if this ever enters the phase of "serious talks," this has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard - the most popular sporting event in the country held overseas in a country that is already obsessed with a different "football."

My only question is, if England were to get the Super Bowl, would New York host the Champions' League finals in exchange? I'm sure that would go over well in both countries.