Saturday, January 07, 2006

My Early Thirties

It's no great insight to say that we bring our life experiences to whatever we happen to read. But nonetheless, it can be quite remarkable how important this is to how we read and comprehend. This quote from Alice Munro's story "Accident" in her book The Moons of Jupiter really strikes home. She's talking about a group of people:

"They were all in their early thirties. An age at which it is sometimes hard to admit that what you are living is your life."

Boy does that hit me right where I live. During a time of significant life changes, plus the fact that I'm in my early 30s, this quote opened my eyes. Yep, I guess this is my life that I am leading. One of some successes, some failures, some indifference, some excitement, some love, some fear. I guess I'll have to live with that life for all the good and the bad.