Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dismayed, Not Surprised

Last night, I showed Red Dawn for my survey class. As the film was starting, I mentioned to my students that Walter in The Big Lebowski was based on John Milius, the director of Red Dawn. Then I realized that my students had no idea what I was talking about. I asked them if they had seen The Big Lebowski. One said she had, but "it was a long time ago."

One thing about teaching is that you are constantly reminded of your age. In history this is even more so because we are talking about the past, but the slow but inevitable distance between your own age and those of your students always has to be on your mind because they never get any of your cultural references. I'm usually really aware of this, but I figured people still watch The Big Lebowski because it is so hilarious. I guess not.

Sigh.