Thursday, May 04, 2006

Erik Has Trouble Dealing with the World (IV): Used Car Edition

My ability to deal with the practical side of the world is limited. I can deal quite well with some parts of the world. I am very good at eating. And wasting time. Academia, generally, is right up my alley. But when I have to deal with practical things, nothing good ever happens.

Unfortunately, I have been dealing with all kinds of practicality lately. And it sucks. I was in the market to get a used car. I wanted a car just like my old car. I found just such a car. In good shape (seemingly), clean, low miles, nice color, good mileage. Everything I want. Good price too. Thought I was getting a hell of a deal.

On Tuesday, I buy the car. We sign off on the title, etc. Later in the day, I'm dealing with registering it, etc. I look closely at the title and what do I see but that it is a fucking salvage title. Of course this bastard I bought it from didn't mention it. Given that it's a single person and not a dealer, I probably have no recourse. I took the car immediately to the dealer to have them check it out. While it needs a little work, that work seems to be mostly related to general wear and tear. It may be that the car lasts me for several years, but I definitely paid more than the car was worth.

I like to think that most people in the world are good. Despite what I think is an extremely undeserved reputation as a curmudgeonly misanthrope, I really like people and want the world to be happy and nice. Then I get ripped off.

Conservatives always talk about morality. But morality is not about who you fuck or what language you use in casual conversation. Morality is about the way you treat other human beings each and every day.

I should have expected it though. Cars are a piece of complicated technology. And we all know how much I love technology.