Saturday, August 02, 2008

Escovedo

I really appreciated David Hajdu's article in The New Republic on the great Alejandro Escovedo and his new album Real Animal. I recommend everyone check it out.

Escovedo is one of my favorite musicians. I have seen him several times at The Continental Club since I moved to the Austin area last year. Hajdu is particularly right about one thing--his new songs are not that great. I haven't heard the album but I have not been moved by most of the songs he has played off it. Hajdu is basically saying "Escovedo really deserves the attention he is finally receiving as an older and sick man. This despite the fact that the album is not that good." This makes sense to me.

My recommendation--go buy his phenomenal 2001 album A Man Under the Influence, then go buy Bourbonitis Blues and With These Hands. You will think these are all awesome albums. Then you can buy his more recent work.