Wednesday, September 22, 2010

TV Replacing Film as Storytelling Medium of Choice?

Jim Emerson explores this question, riffing off this A.O. Scott article.

I don't know--there sure hasn't been a lot of buzz around American cinema in the last couple of years. It's all about sequels and technology. The Hollywood studios are showing about as much creativity as network television in the 1980s. Meanwhile, I don't think TV has ever witnessed such a peak of quality and creativity. I suppose we have The Sopranos to thank for this. One might make the argument that The Sopranos is one of the five most important TV shows ever, for this reason.

In the end, I'm a film guy. But I'm also a quality guy and if my viewing habits begin to combine old movies and new TV in equal measures, well, I can think of worse things.