Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Best and Worst of Woody Allen

Jim Emerson thinks on Woody Allen and comes up with his 5 favorite and 5 worst Woody Allen films. It reminds me that I own Another Woman another viewing. I haven't seen a lot of Woody's recent work because it looks so grim, but here's my lists:


1. Annie Hall
2. Manhattan
3. Zelig
4. Husbands and Wives
5. Crimes and Misdemeanors

Outside of Zelig, that's a very standard list, but what can you do. Deconstructing Harry probably comes in 6th, which is much higher than most people seem to rate it.

1. Shadows and Fog
2. Scoop
3. A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy

Actually, I'm going to stop there. There's not another movie of his that I've seen that I really dislike (though I'd be hard-pressed to call Love and Death good). But I have no doubt that the other 2 would come from his 2000s films.