Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mr. Trend's Random 10

I know it's two days early, but tomorrow and Friday are official holidays in Brazil, and I am going out of town to celebrate my wedding with my wife's (very) extended family (9 aunts & uncles, 30 cousins, numerous spouses, children, etc). So here's my random 10, a little early.

I actually owe Erik for turning me on to Joe McPhee. McPhee is (in my limited opinion) one of the best jazz musicians of the last 40 years (William Hooker, also in today's random 10, is also very underrated, but that's another post later). As Erik has pointed out before, there has been a (sometimes understandable, sometimes baffling) emphasis on John Coltrane’s production that has more than dominated the narrative of jazz since 1960, at the expense both of older jazz musicians like Dizzy Gillespe as well as Coltrane’s contemporaries (particularly Ornette Coleman) and those who came after him. Joe McPhee definitely falls into that latter category. His early-1970s production is as good as (if not better than) Coltrane’s later material, though I generally enjoy McPhee’s work even more.

1. “When I First Get to Phoenix” – Set Fire to Flames
2. “Je Ne T’Aime Plus” – Manu Chao
3. “Rainha Negra” – Maria Bethânia
4. “Blow” – Glen Hall, Lee Ranaldo, and William Hooker
5. “I Dreamed I Dream” – Sonic Youth
6. “Now Mary” – White Stripes
7. “Nation Time” – Joe McPhee
8. “Nuestra Ultima Gusto” – Ibrahim Ferrer
9. “The Book of Right-On” – Joanna Newsom
10. “NYC Ghosts & Flowers” – Sonic Youth