Monday, January 07, 2008

Putting the Cart before the Horse: Thinking About an Obama Cabinet

Just thinking on the plane back from Washington what an Obama cabinet might look like. There's little reason to think about this seriously yet, but it serves to emphasize how much stronger Democratic leaders are right now than Republicans.

Of course, the first question is the VP. There's so many good choices. One of the governors (Schweitzer, Napolitano, Sebelius) would be good. Jim Webb would be interesting. Bill Richardson would be a really good choice. But just for the hell of it, I'm going to go with John Edwards. They've made a good team against Clinton in New Hampshire. They have good regional balance, for whatever that's worth. They are both big for change. He's a charismatic guy. I know he didn't really help Kerry in 2004, but I think he's an exciting guy. I like him so he's my choice.

Wouldn't Bill Richardson be an excellent choice as Secretary of State? Hell, he actually has a functional relationship with the North Koreans? Imagine a Biden or Webb as Secretary of Defense. I know Biden's not my favorite senator and I'm glad he dropped out, but he would provide the department with someone who thinks hard about the military and I'd rather see him here than at State.

If Edwards were not the choice as VP, he would make a great Secretary of Labor, though I don't know if he would take it. What about Paul Krugman here?

Of course, these are only a few positions I'm thinking about here. And it does reek of the boys club. Clearly having a woman in a top position is important--Attorney General perhaps, though I don't have the expertise to know of good candidate for that position. I'd love to see a woman at the Treasury, or anyone other than a white male for that matter.

It's mighty early to assume Obama will win the nomination, not to mention the election, but this is fun to think about nonetheless.