Friday, June 10, 2005

Histories for Progressives--List

I received a request to compile all the books I've listed in my history books for progressives. Here they are.

Lizabeth Cohen, A Consumer's Republic
Robert Wiebe, The Search for Order
Taylor Branch, Parting the Waters
Taylor Branch, Pillar of Fire
Eric Arnesen, Brotherhoods of Color
Walter LaFeber, Inevitable Revolutions
Edmund Morgan, American Slavery, American Freedom
George Chauncy, Gay New York
Donald Worster, Rivers of Empire
Jefferson Cowie, Capital Moves
Richard White, The Middle Ground
Sara Evans, Personal Politics
Rickie Solinger, Wake Up Little Susie
Thomas Sugrue, The Origins of the Urban Crisis
William Cronon, Nature's Metropolis
William Leach, Land of Desire
Eric Foner, Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men
Lisa McGirr, Suburban Warriors (Technically this was not in a progressive history of the month posting. I reviewed it though in my Lawyers, Guns, and Money guest blogging last weekend and it deserves to be here)

Enjoy!

UPDATE, 6/12/05--As the esteemed Rickie Solinger pointed out to me in an e-mail, I misattributed American Slavery, American Freedom to Gordon Wood when it in fact was written by the equally excellent historian of early America, Edmund Morgan. It's corrected above. On a personal note, I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed that I made such a mistake or amazed that one of the authors I noted above actually read this blog.

In any case, let me just attribute such a stupid mistake to too much dissertation writing and move on.