Monday, August 29, 2005

Guitar Solos

Because I am lazy, lazy man with an attention span of about 30 seconds, I am going to take time away from writing my lecture for tomorrow to talk about a serious issue:

Rock guitar solos.

This comes out of a conversation with friends last night when one of my friend asked what rock guitar solos were our favorites.

I've come to realize that I generally dislike guitar solos (and of course drum solos but that goes without saying). This is why I find Bill Frisell an infinitely more satisfying guitarist than Eric Clapton (also being about 20 times better also makes a difference here) and even more than infinitely satisfying than some wanker like Kenny Wayne Sheppard or other Stevie Ray Vaughn wannabe. Good music comes from musicians playing with each other, not over each other. This is why Rush is an intolerable band for me, even if they didn't write songs about trees going to war with each other. They never played together and got past their technical skills to make really good music.

What does the solo really provide? Of course, solos can be valuable. Look at the innumerable wonderful jazz solos. But an electric guitar solo--what does this provide? No doubt it is a salve to white souls everywhere, particularly if they were born between 1945 and 1965. But musically, what is it other than masturbation?

That said, I will suggest 2 solos that I do find satisfying.
1. Richard Thompson, "Can't Win" live version from the Watching The Dark box set that came out about 10 years ago. I believe the show this is from is also available on CD from RT's website. Playing within a great band, RT starts the song like the fairly slow song it is and ratches it higher and higher. He's the most underrated guitarist in the universe for the precise reason that he chooses to play within the music and his songs and not be a showoff.

2. Frank Zappa, "Outside Now" from Joe's Garage. This is your classic guitar solo without much meaning. But the sheer wizardry of Zappa's playing combined with it's place on the album make it one hell of a great number.

Does anyone have thoughts on their favorite solos or the nature of the guitar solo? Please share.