Thursday, August 18, 2005

John Roberts

I haven't posted on John Roberts for several reasons, the most important of which is that there are lots of people in the blogosphere who can do this much better than I. I almost posted when I heard an interview with Cass Sunstein who said that his greatest concern about Roberts was the quite likely possibility that his appointment would lead to the Endangered Species Act and other core environmental legislation being declared unconstitutional unless they explicitly affect interstate commerce. So that's bad. But his comment that he wondered whether "'encouraging homemakers to become lawyers contributes to the common good'' meant I had to say something. And that something is, I wonder if he would say that to Sandra Day O'Connor's or Ruth Bader Ginsburg's face? Or for that matter his own wife, who is also a lawyer. What a jerk.