Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chamber of Commerce

I'm presently in a Washington state House district targeted by the Chamber of Commerce for anti-health care bill ads.

First, these ads are absurd. They are all about how terrible the economy is and now Congress is trying to push through health care.

But if the economy is in the gutter, don't I want the government to give me a health care assist? I know the bill isn't great at this point, but it's still a heck of a lot better than what we have now. I have trouble seeing how these ads are effective, but then I don't understand why poor and middle-class people don't overwhelmingly vote Democratic anyway.

Moreover, wouldn't the Chamber of Commerce have to be in the top 5 of most reprehensible organizations in the country. What would that top 5 look like?

1. Republican Party
2. New York Yankees
3. Coal Industry
4. U.S. Chamber of Commerce
5. Everything to do with the country music industry in Nashville.

That's a workable beginning to a top 5 for me.