Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cold War Film Suggestions

Forgive the quietness on my end--I've been in the Northwest, visiting family, attending the American Society of Environmental Historians conference (where I told a lovely story about eye gonorrhea in my paper), and being interviewed for a couple of jobs (wish me luck, I need it!).

But while I won't be back full time until next Monday, I am having a quiet work day today.

And I have a question I could use some help with. This summer, I'm teaching a course on Cold War Film and History. I'm going to show about 12-14 films. What would you show for such a class? I am going to cover a lot of things in a short time, look at films of the time and films made later, and hopefully from all over the world. I am having a specific 4 film section focusing on Latin America.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1. One disc of the Animated Soviet Propaganda series, which is awesome.
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Battle of Algiers
4. The Day the Earth Stood Still
5. Red Dawn
6. The Baader Meinhof Complex
7. I Am Cuba
8. Goodbye Lenin
9. 12:08 East of Bucharest
10. Some Bond film, but I'm not sure which one. Given that I've only ever seen 1 Bond film in my life (yes could can make fun of me for this if you want), I could use some specific suggestions here. 
11. Atomic Cafe

That's pretty heavy on German and eastern European films. And actually it's pretty weak on US-Soviet relations.

I'm probably forgetting some pretty obvious films, so help me out!