Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Knew David Brooks Was Square, But This is Ridiculous

Wow.

Can I go on record as saying that I think Dennis Miller is funny … and P.J. O’Rourke and Chris Buckley and Andrew Ferguson and Matt Labash. Plus I see that the director of “Airplane!” and “The Naked Gun” is conservative, movies that include at least two of the 10 funniest scenes in recent Hollywood history. Overall, I think conservatives are at least as funny as Al Gore, and I say that with all due respect and affection for Gore.

Dennis Miller is funny? OK then. And clearly his stint on Monday Night Football was a highlight in the history of American broadcasting!!!

Of course, conservatives are not as funny as liberals. They may be more evil and thus more effective at winning elections. But funny, no. I mean, unless you think the Half-Hour Comedy Hour was comedy gold!

The best part is his discussion of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert later in the discussion:

I also wonder if you think there’s a jump-the-shark danger here for Stewart and Colbert. After all when comedians stop being jesters they are notorious for jumping all the way over and becoming preachers, with no middle ground.

Which of course doesn't describe Dennis Miller at all. 

As for the Al Gore comparison, that's useless even for Brooks. I mean, I might argue that liberals are at least as shallow as Jonah Goldberg, but that obviously wouldn't be true, even if I could find one or two who might be. Of course, they would be pot-smoking college students and not millionaire columnists, but there's conservatives for you.