Monday, January 22, 2007

Viva Nuevo Mexico: Mr. Trend Edition

For four years, I lived in the Citadel Apartments in New Mexico. While I certainly had no personal problems with them, they weren't anywhere near the nicest. Indeed, my first "viva Nuevo Mexico" moment happened 2 months after I moved in, when, in one of my favorite moments ever,a guy who lived two doors down from me got his head cracked open with a bottle and a baseball bat just by my apartment, and when the cops showed up, one of the officers had dated the victim's cousin (and the guy turned out OK - in another twist to the story, he had been busted for DUI 15 times and claimed an 80 year old guy did it). As I said, not the greatest place, and I occasionally thought of moving out, but was simply too lazy.

In all my time there, I never had problems with the manager (or with crime, said for the aforementioned event, which didn't personally happen to me). However, I have to say, the manager's husband always kind of weirded me out. I never felt quite right about him, avoiding him when I saw him, and always thinking he was kind of creepy and had a bit of the air of your generic scumbag.

Turns out, my gut feeling wasn't without base. For, as I learned today while my girlfriend and I were looking at apartments in New Mexico for our eventual return, we learned that the husband of the manager of the apartment is a convicted sex offender. This, in a place that was home to many lower-income families with children, not to mention single women (generally students).

Viva, Nuevo Mexico.