Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Underrated and Overrated Rock Albums

From Scott comes a link to these lists of overrated songs and underrated rock albums. First, comments on the underrated:

George Harrison, All Things Must Pass. Funny, I've always thought this was overrated. If the exact same album had been made by a non-Beatle, or even a Beatle after 1975, would anyone care about it?

Richard Thompson's Rumor and Sigh is a great album that all music fans should own. I however think that there are other Richard Thompson albums that are more underrated such as Amnesia and Mirror Blue. That said, it's a fine pick.

The Traveling Wilburys? WTF? This album may be underrated, but only in its ability to get five rock legends together and watch them suck collectively. Especially Dylan. God his songs on that album are dreadful. Is there anyone on that album that you wouldn't rather own their solo albums? Well, except for Jeff Lynne where you wouldn't want to own any of his albums.

And then there's this:
Top 5 Rock Concept Albums
1. Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2. Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage
3. Drive By Truckers, Southern Rock Opera
4. Pete Townshend, White City
5. Jethro Tull, A Passion Play

Yes, that's right. Genesis is listed above Joe's Garage and Southern Rock Opera. I can't defend A Passion Play really except to say that Jethro Tull actually did put out a couple of really good albums early in their career, especially Stand Up. But that doesn't excuse A Passion Play. I mean for God's sake, if you have to include a Jethro Tull concept album, and do you really have to?, at least make it Thick as a Brick.

Now for the overrated:

"American Pie," "Light My Fire," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," these all make sense. Like Scott I am perplexed by "Pour Some Sugar On Me" being on the list because it just objectively sucks. Anything that Andrew Lloyd Webber does automatically objectively sucks but since some people actually like that shit, I guess it deserves to be on there. I would feel better about this list if it was albums instead of songs. Here's a few albums I would nominate:

1. U2--The Joshua Tree
2. Pink Floyd--A Momentary Lapse of Reason
3. Bob Dylan--Nashville Skyline
4. Pearl Jam--Ten--I liked this at the time and I still don't mind it but looking back it doesn't age as well as some of the other early grunge albums
5. Van Halen--1984
6. Wilco--Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
7. Anything Ryan Adams is involved with.
8. Metallica--Metallica