Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tales From A Night of Pointless Corporate Consumption (I)

I think I know one reason why the University of New Mexico football team sucks.

I teach classes in the evening. I get out at 6:45. That's a really bad time to finish up on the dinner front. I don't want to cook that late, I'm tired, and plus I'm lazy and cooking for myself anyway. So the incentive isn't really there. Compounding this problem is the fact that there is a Sonic literally 30 seconds from my office.

So on Monday night I go over after class to grab a bite so I can go back to my office and grade. Next to the register is a list of football players names. This list reminded that I had first noticed this phenomenon about a month ago--the football players can eat at Sonic for free. It's covered in their scholarship or something. Anyway, both times I have seen this, about 40% of the players on that page had eaten there--and that was just for dinner! 40%! On Monday I didn't actually see the football players there--just saw their signatures. But the other time I did and it wasn't some big ass offensive linemen there--they were like cornerback and receivers.

Somehow I am thinking that a diet consisting of something other than cheeseburgers might help this team suck just slightly less.

And if you're calling me a hypocrite for writing this after going there myself, just let me remind you that no one is asking me to play Division 1-A college football for them either.