Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tales From a Night of Pointless Corporate Consumption (II)

Later that very Monday night, I decided that I was sick of the damn grading and I went to do my laundry. I don't do very well staying inside laundry places. They're kind of depressing. I see these scraggly 55 year old people in there and think, God I hope I have a washing machine in 20 years and then realize that I probably won't and some young buck will be saying the same thing about me. So I didn't stick around. Instead I ran to a large corporate store that will remained unnamed to run an errand. I needed new socks, in addition to cat litter which has nothing to do with the socks. I'm looking at socks and I am absolutely shocked, and I mean shocked, to see that there is like a whole section of socks designed for people with diabetes. That's fine and all, I'm glad companies are making products for their needs. But holy shit, have we already reached the point that whole sections of stores are going to be dedicated to selling goods for people suffering from diseases that a lot of people have got from their own poor living and eating habits? What are stores going to be like when I get old? Will products for people who are healthy be confined to a dark, dingy corner?

Then on the way out I bought a bag of Fritos which I proceeded to finish in the next 2 days.