Sunday, April 01, 2007

My Conflicted Baseball Season

Tonight is opening night. Tomorrow is opening day. This is arguably the greatest time of the year.

However, this year is more complicated.

I managed to end up with Derek Jeter, Mike Mussina, and Johnny Damon on my fantasy team.

I hate the Yankees. I mean I really hate them. My hatred of the Yankees nearly equals my hatred of the Republican Party. And while Mussina and Damon I can deal with, the idea of having to root for Derek Jeter makes my stomach tie itself in knots.

How did I end up with these nefarious Yankees? Sadly, my desire to actually win a fantasy season got in the way of my irrational yet fully justified hatred of the world's most evil organization.

What will happen? If Jeter homers to win a game, will be happy or will I want to shoot my tv? Will I eventually have to trade him so that I can sleep at night?

Never again will I even bit on Derek Jeter. Never, ever, ever.

Unless perhaps he helps me win the title this year.