Thursday, March 26, 2009

Class Film Query

This summer, I am teaching a 3 week course on politics and society of the 1960s and 1970s through film. I have time to show 14 films. What would you show? I am up for American and international films, preferring to focus on race, radicalism, student movements, and related issues, but open to everything.

My early list likes this:

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Battle of Algiers
Memories of Underdevelopment
The Green Berets
Easy Rider
Medium Cool
Bonnie & Clyde
In the Heat of the Night
Superfly
The Deer Hunter
I Am Cuba
Dr. Strangelove
The China Syndrome
When We Were Kings (a documentary from the 90s, but I think very useful to talk about race and decolonialization, could work well in a unit with I Am Cuba, Memories of Underdevelopment, and Battle of Algiers).

However, this list is extremely fluid. What suggestions do you all have? All are most appreciated!