Thursday, October 01, 2009

What Max Baucus Needs to Hear

From Left in the West, a letter from a longtime Baucus supporter in Montana to the senator:

Dear Sen. Baucus,

I just want to let you know how disappointed I was with your vote yesterday to refuse to entertain either of the public option amendments that came before your committee. I've been a supporter, donor, and advocate on your behalf for many, many years. But yesterday you had a chance to do something important for small businessmen like me, and you let me down. My BC/BS premium went up 20% this year, over $1,200, and I'm healthy. I have no realistic option here in Lewistown. So, next time you need a ride from the airport, call someone else. Signs put up around the county? Good luck with that. A contribution? Ask Blue Cross. I'm done. My next vote will go to a real Democrat. You had a chance to make history. Instead, you'll go down in history as someone who could have made a difference, and chose not to. That's if history remembers you at all. I should have known it would end up like this.

Profoundly disappointed,

Jeff

Baucus really has blown this. It's unclear whether he cares about his long-term reputation or if his only concern is campaign contributions. But any chance Max Baucus has to be remembered as a good senator is gone.