Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The One Thing The Lutheran Church Has Done For Me

As many of you know, I am a recovering Lutheran. I really hate that church for a lot of reasons. One of the most important is the constant training to repress all emotions, never put yourself out on a limb, or otherwise take any risks with life. This is something I am always fighting against.

However, I have discovered that this very thing can serve me quite well in one field: poker.

Although I don't really know the rules of poker, I have come in 1st or 2nd in 3 of the 6 games of Texas Hold'Em I've ever played. I have to think that my complete lack of expression, something that is totally unintentional while at the poker table, has a lot to do with that.

Thank you Lutheranism.

Now I have to go nail something on a door.