Friday, April 20, 2007

Etiquette at Concerts

I went and saw Neko Case on Sunday here in Albuquerque. It was a pretty solid show. Actually, it was somewhat better than the other times I've seen her. But then again, I've always thought she was somewhat overrated. Or to be more specific, I wanted her to use her amazing voice in more diverse ways than she does on her solo albums. Anyway, being Albuquerque and Neko being trendy, I feared that a lot of people would go not because they cared about the music, but to be seen. Let's face it, there's not that much to do in this city so these things happen.

Indeed, what I feared came to pass. Eventually, I moved because the people next to me were having a very loud conversation that not only had nothing to do with the music but it fact overwhelmed the music. I moved to an upstairs section that was very hot but at least you could hear. I was a bit peeved at this. I mentioned it today to some friends. They laughed because one of their friends had been at the same show and was shushed by some people for doing the same thing that I got irritated at. Moreover, my friends said that I was wrong and that if people paid for a show, they could do what they want.

I think this is outright wrong. To some extent, the ability to talk during a concert depends on the show. At a loud rock show, when you have to yell in your neighbor's ear to be heard, it's fine because no one can hear you anyway. And let me make it clear--I'm not calling for silence. Whoop and holler at the songs all you want. Be an enthusiastic crowd. That's great. But at a Neko Case show, when the music is not that loud and is very dependent on the vocals, loud conversations are completely unacceptable. Do people not care about the rights of others? Yes, you paid your money, but so did everyone else. Does that not matter?

To me, this means much more than a concert. It's about community. Do we care so little about other people that we will completely ride roughshod over their evening in order that we can do what we want? Is there anyplace in today's society for taking others into consideration? Should we pay any attention to how our actions affect other people, or is this a world dedicated simply to our own personal pleasure and fuck everyone else?

I don't see how we build a better society and world with selfish values like these in place.