Friday, August 24, 2007

Erik's Random 10

Dale Watson's "I See Your Face in Every Face I See" comes off his album, Every Song I Write Is For You. He wrote this album after his partner and mother of his children died in a car accident several years ago. He claims in the liner notes that her death led to the greatest songs he ever wrote. That's not really true, as the album feels rather weak and overly sentimental to me. Of course, he was recovering from a terrible thing and that's not a knock.

More positively, Dale Watson is the face of country music in Austin. For years, he's been holding up the pillar of honky-tonk country in the United States. That's sad, but true. Many of the alt-country bands are great, but they also see themselves as moving beyond traditional country. That's fine and all, but there is still a ton say using honky-tonk styles. Watson is the epitomy of the working musician. He plays 3-4 times a week in Austin. I just saw him on Tuesday at a bar where he had a sort of country swing band, including a 3 piece horn section. They had just started playing together and I don't know if I would recommend that particular format, or space, as the best way to first experience Watson, but it was certainly a good time. Even in Austin though, there is a limited demand for honky-tonk music. It's dying, despite all Dale Watson's efforts. Thank God he's still around keeping it alive, covering country musicians from the past and writing his own fine songs as well.

1. Dale Watson, I See Your Face in Every Face I See
2. Kasey Chambers, A Little Bit Lonesome
3. Old 97s, If My Heart Was a Car
4. Alejandro Escovedo, Slip
5. Lu Edmonds/John Rice/The Pine Valley Cosmonauts, Gulag Blues
6. J.S. Bach, Adagio, Sonata in C Minor, BMV 1017, Andrew Manze, violin
7. Merle Haggard, Grandma Harp
8. Guy Klucevsek, Slow Dancing in Yugoslavia
9. Bill Frisell, Twenty Years
10. Modest Mouse, Bankrupt on Selling