Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Fetishizing the Hops

Eric Asimov is right when he opines,

"India pale ale is a case in point. Not content with a sturdy ale awash in refreshing bitterness, many brewers are making their I.P.A.’s stronger and stronger, with a hop bitterness so aggressive it will knock anybody out of her hammock. These beers can be fascinating in the proper context, but it’s August, man! Cool me off, but don’t bowl me over."

Indeed. I don't understand the idea behind making IPAs so strong they are essentially undrinkable. I feel like it's some sort of weird masculinity contest, where only the toughest can actually drink some of this stuff. A good IPA is a nice thing. Frankly, IPAs generally aren't my favorite beers, but I do enjoy one of good quality on occasion. But hoppiness for the sake of it is just silly.