Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Good books and other musings.

Hello dears.

I've been insanely busy lately being a comic book geek. I can't claim that it hasn't been lots of fun being that busy, but it has left me with little to say here.

That and being completely burned out on politics for the moment, as well.

The most interesting stuff floating through my bloggy brain lately has been all sex-related, including the declaration of Female Desire Week by several of my favorite feminist bloggers, so in a shameless self-promotion move, I'll note that there's plenty of stuff over at my blog about that, if you care to read it. You'll know more than you ever needed to in short order.

Anyway! We had the most fun over here a while back discussing literature, so I'm going to throw a few fun topics out there and see if we can get a discussion going.

I'm currently reading The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. And it is excellent, brilliant, beautiful, and many many more good things that I don't have words for because I've been working in 97-degree heat without air conditioning all day.

Latin American literature is something that I haven't read much of, but I've really been trying lately, when I have the spare time for novels, to branch out of the usual suspects. So: who has suggestions for me? Give me the most beautiful, ecstatic, transcendent things you can think of that come from that part of the world. And if you've read what I'm reading, what did you think? Have you read anything else by Bolano?


Topic number two, in reference to my current geek-heaven state, is of course comics as literature.

I started reading comics with The Crow and The Sandman, back when I was a teenage goth girl. (If you're lucky someday I'll post pictures. Probably back at my blog, though) The Sandman is wonderful, and it led me into such gems as Transmetropolitan and Preacher, recommended to me by classmates when I was an undergrad.

Right now my favorites are DMZ, Fables, The Boys
and Doktor Sleepless, but I've got some catching up to do--the past semester wasn't terribly conducive to reading for pleasure, let alone getting to the comic shop to buy things. Now I work around the corner from an excellent shop, and people seem to like giving me free things. Anyone out there share my love for sequential art?

Tawk amongst yourselves.