Monday, December 11, 2006

Is there a good reason we still listen to Christmas songs?

I can't see one. This article is total fluff, and does nothing to explain the phenomena, but it does remind me of a conversation I had with Erik a couple of days ago. Christmas music is absolutely abhorant to me, and I avoid it at all costs but, to my nausea, it is nearly impossible to escape. This is because there are those in the other camp who can't get enough of these songs and listen to them from Thanksgiving until New Years. For the life of me, I cannot understand this. They are the same songs all the time, not to mention that they are the same songs that have been heard year after year for half a century, plus, there are only two thematic expressions to these songs. The first, and the one I understand, is the religious theme. Not a believer, however, I find it difficult to gain a lot of spiritual rapture from these songs and, additionally, many of them are lyrically bastardized versions of very fine short classical pieces, something I have a hard time supporting. The second, and most infuriating theme, is how great Christmas is. How trite is this? Do we need to be reminded through song for a full month how cool it is to be with our families, to sit next to a fire roasting crap and, especially, to get presents? If we do, than how great can the holiday be? What does "White Christmas" have to do with Christmas in Texas? The people here may be dreaming of a white Christmas but, if that were actually to happen, it would be a horrible nightmare.

The article specifically mention "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" as lasting favorites. These are the most modern songs anybody listens to? Sad, just sad.