Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Erik Has Trouble Dealing with the World (V)--Air Conditioner Edition

Over the past 6 weeks or so I have had to use my air conditioner. You may have heard this from me before, but Albuquerque is hotter than hell this time of the year. But it rarely seemed to work right. Sometimes it would blow cold air and sometimes it would just be blowing the air from outside--OK at night, not so good during the day. So I called my landlord and asked to have someone come out and fix it.

The guy comes out and changes the water pump, which I guess was old. He also, and in a very subtle and pretty nice way, suggested that I actually turn on the water pump in order to get cold air to come in.

Now, you'd think I could have figured this out for myself. The pump button on the wall unit is faded and I thought it said medium. I thought it was odd that it didn't work, considering that high and low did work. I thought it more odd that "medium" was above both high and low but didn't think too much of it. Then I looked today and realized that it actually does say pump.

I love technology.