Friday, June 15, 2007

Mister Trend's Random 10

I don't know what I can say about Springsteen that hasn't already been said. He's been around so long, and been so consistently great, he just seems like somebody we take for granted now, some song-smith who appeals to middle-class white people. While it's hard to argue he's "unpopular" (given his millions of fans), I still think his work as a lyricist is greatly unappreciated and not articulated enough. His work is unbelievable, and few people on earth get into describing people and life situations like he does. While "Born In the USA" isn't my favorite Springsteen album (that would probably go to either Nebraska or Born to Run), it's still top-notch, and well worth listening to even today. Somehow, the economic crises and issues of working-class identity he describe on that album are still great without being dated.

1. "Modulando" - Altamiro Carrilho
2. "Stop Talking" - The Walkmen
3. "Beeswax" - Nirvana
4. "Superunknown" - Soundgarden
5. "I Don't Know What I Can Save You From" - Kings of Convenience
6. "2001" - Gilberto Gil
7. "My Hometown" - Bruce Springsteen
8. "If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Got To Stay All Night)" - Bob Dylan
9. "Uranus, the Magician" - Gustav Holst
10. "Lady Madonna" - The Beatles