Friday, August 03, 2007

Lyrad's Random 10

Composer, bandleader and trumpet player Frank London has been at the center of the melding of Jewish music, jazz and avant garde for 30 years. A founding member of both The Klezmatics and Hasidic New Wave, he has been a fantastic contributor to every musical realm he's approached. "Bucket Cue" is the opening to his soundtrack for Jonathan Berman's 1993 documentary The Shvitz, a piece apparently on the New York Jewish steambath scene, which I have not seen. I am completely ignorant of the subject but, if the music reflects the movie, I'd say it was a pretty wild time. The music goes back and forth between jazz and punk, and all of it has a deep klezmer influence. It's a great score, as is much of his other music. London has appeared on some 200 recordings over the years and the one thing I know for sure is that I don't know what I'll get when I hear something new.

1. Frank London--Bucket Cue [from the soundtrack to The Shvitz]
2. Soulfly--The Song Remains Insane
3. Siegel-Schwall Band--I'll Be the Man
4. Sergei Prokofiev--Cinderella (Ballet in 3 Acts); 2. The Veil Dance [Cologne WDR SO; Michail Jurowski, cond.]
5. Duke Ellington--Lover Man
6. Fossil Fuel--I Hate To Take a Bath
7. Mose Allison--Puttin' up with Me
8. Mr. Bungle--Violenza Domestica
9. Booker T. Laury--I Done You Wrong
10. Bryan Redding--Spoken