Friday, June 04, 2010

Annals of Pop Psychology

The Times links to this Psych Central piece that attempts to make connections between how we treat our pets and our spouses. The Times article asks key questions:


Greetings: Even on bad days, we greet our pets with a happy, animated hello, and usually a pat on the head or a hug. Do you greet your spouse that way?

Why in fact, the key to my relationship is patting my partner on top of the head when I come home. I then give her some partner treats and fill her food bowl.

Holding grudges: Even when our pets annoy us by wrecking the furniture or soiling the floor, we don’t stay mad at them.

Precisely. I find my relationship works because when my partner uses the couch as a bathroom, it doesn't bother me at all!

The Psych Central piece makes even more relevant points:


Acceptance
Few pet owners personalize their pets’ reactions to others to an extreme that makes them so embarrassed that they fear their image is tarnished or they become resentful of their pets. The fact that the dog is licking every part of the arriving guest’s body is cause to pull him away or laugh it away. The cat that will not come out of hiding or the parrot that is screeching is left without judgment or excuses. That’s them!

In fact, I am completely supportive when my partner dives under the bed when the garbage truck comes by.  Moreover, when she is cleaning herself with her tongue, I totally understand.