Sunday, January 14, 2007

First Sign of the Apocalypse?...maybe just a little ice

Never have I seen a population that reacts so irrationally to weather as that in Texas. I heard this on the weather report last night after football (don't ask why I torture myself with the occasional snippets of local news; I guess I'm a masochist):

"If you can at all avoid it, please don't leave your homes!"

Why did they give this warning? Well, it rained a little bit and it dropped below freezing. Oh...my...god.... Say it isn't so! Don't tell me that when the ground is we and it gets cold that ice forms! I mean, really, if I went outside and started running around with my eyes closed, I could slip and hurt myself. Thanks to Dallas local Fox affiliate for saving my life.

Good lord, people, gain a little perspective. It's ice. Everyone has seen it and everyone knows what causes it. That didn't stop, however, the emails at work pleading with me to take an alternate route home and giving a game plan for "surviving" the ice storm. You know how I'm going to survive it? I'm gonna put a coat on. What a bunch of jackasses.