Monday, November 10, 2008

Olbermann made me cry

OK, those of you who've been following me on Twitter or elsewhere might have realized that I've become sort of a sap since Tuesday's victory. I cried then, of course, and several times since. I cried at The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants yesterday, damnit.

So while I'm blaming Barack for my newfound connection to my emotions, I must say that Keith Olbermann's "special comment" on Prop 8 might have made me cry in any case.

You are asked now, by your country, and perhaps by your creator, to stand on one side or another. You are asked now to stand, not on a question of politics, not on a question of religion, not on a question of gay or straight. You are asked now to stand, on a question of love. All you need do is stand, and let the tiny ember of love meet its own fate.

You don't have to help it, you don't have it applaud it, you don't have to fight for it. Just don't put it out. Just don't extinguish it. Because while it may at first look like that love is between two people you don't know and you don't understand and maybe you don't even want to know. It is, in fact, the ember of your love, for your fellow person just because this is the only world we have. And the other guy counts, too.


You can read the rest, but I recommend the video. Both are here.

(cross-posted. yeah, you know it)