Monday, November 10, 2008

Football in Mexico!

There is an excellent article over at the LA Times from a couple days ago about the rising popularity of American football in Mexico. I have not yet personally seen a Mexican football game, but it is definitely on my list of things I need to do in Mexico. One of my greatest experiences watching a football game was in Mexico about two years ago. There is a movie theatre just outside of Mexico City that shows Monday night football games, so I went to see the Bengals and Colts play. I was not expecting much, who could possibly like those teams in Mexico City? My perception was that most Mexicans only like the Cowboys or the Raiders, but I was completely wrong. The theatre was packed, there was a huge line to get in, and most people in line had Bengals or Colts jerseys on. Once we got into the theatre, it was like a giant party, with theatre staff walking around serving beer, nachos, and other kinds of junk food. Not only was it great to get beer in a theatre, but also to watch a game with several hundred other people having a great time. I would definitely take this over going to some lame sports bar to watch a game in the U.S.