Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town

I always thought Kenny Rogers was the ultimate country cheeseball of the 70s. And of course this is true. But he always had 1 great song, "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town." I never understood how he had this one song in him.

I just found out that it is actually a Mel Tillis song, which makes sense. Still, Kenny's version is actually significantly better than Tillis'--a real surprise to me. Kenny sings it with more passion. You believe he actually is a crippled Vietnam vet who is about to lose his woman. Mel can't pull that off. Plus his arrangement is too stereotypical country music of the era.

So Kenny still had that one song in him, even if it was a cover. It's still odd that he pulled this off.

I know you all read this blog for my analysis of 70s country.