Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Globalization Readings

In the fall, I am teaching a history of globalization. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has some useful suggestions for readings. I am focusing on environmental change, labor issues, gender, religion, and maybe popular culture. But I am open to anything interesting.

I think I am assigning the following:

Jefferson Cowie, Capital Moves (about RCA's constant search for cheap labor
Vandana Shiva, Stolen Harvest (about globalization and the world food supply)
Alfred Crosby, Ecological Imperialisms (about environmental change and colonization)

I am probably going to assign something on the Zapatistas. I'm thinking of Ara Wilson's The Intimate Economies of Bangkok for a good book on gender. Maybe another book as well. My school assigns a lot of work so I will also be having the students read some book chapters too, where I will pick up more gender and religion issues. I am curious about the edited collection entitled Globalization, Gender, and Religion: The Politics of Women's Rights in Catholic and Muslim Contexts. Could be good for a chapter or two.

Anyhow, thoughts?