Thursday, April 03, 2008

Weird Situation--Advice Needed

So I get home from my office at like 9;45. Yeah, I know, it's all fun times as a young professor.

Anyway, like 5 minutes after I get home, someone knocks on my door. I live in a house split into 4 apartments so I knew it was one of my neighbors. I figured it was my neighbors who live across the hall--a preacher and his wife. Uh, no. It's the woman who moved in above me a couple of months ago. She is really really drunk. So I invite her in and figure that I need to be nice here and also take care of the drunk person. I give her a glass of water and start talking to her. OK, whatever.

At this point, I should note that this is the most exciting thing that has happened in my life since I moved to Georgetown, Texas, which may something about the town or may something about me. Probably a little of both.

Turns out that her husband is in the military or something and is away for a few months. She's clearly lonely as hell as he's only been gone a few days. And she's pretty nice too I guess and I always want good neighbor relations. Mostly I don't want her to pass out in my place. Anyway, then she starts worrying because she can't find her keys. She thinks she locked herself out of her place. And she clearly needs help getting up the stairs. And she clearly wants another drink. I resist this, but I help her up. I'm trying to talk her into going to bed. She did have a nice little rabbit that I petted a bit. But I'm a sucker for fluffy pets as anyone who has met my cat knows. Anyway, I digress. This post is clearly like my classes where I can't go for more than 2 minutes without launching into some story.

She says she wants to drink as much as she can. Who am I to stop her? It's her life and besides, she's obviously dealing with some shit. Finally, she passes out over the sink for Christ's sake. So I grab her and try to get her to her bed. She collapses at the edge of it.

I call a female friend of mine and ask what the heck to do. I want to have good neighbor relations. Hell, I wouldn't mind hanging out with her some--again, she seems nice enough and I have this sort of utopian belief about neighbors creating a community. I'm kind of worried about her. My friend suggests I go up, blow out all the candles she has going, lock her door, and then get out of there. This is clearly good advice. I couldn't have slept with the candles still going since I am totally OCD in that way. Well, in a lot of ways, but that's for another post. I did just what my friend suggested. I also peeked in on her, making sure she wasn't choking on her own vomit. She had moved toward the bathroom some but had passed out again. She seemed fine sort of I guess.

Did I do the right thing? I'm thinking of knocking on her door tomorrow night and checking on her. I'm sure she'll be embarrassed, but I don't really want her to be. Do you all think talking to her would help get over this? Plus, there's the whole male-female thing and I don't want to be accused of being inappropriate. I don't think I've ever been accused of that, but there's a first time for everything I guess. I just don't want it to be here.

I'm not used to these kind of situations. I'm more comfortable hanging out in my office and writing about the past. Actual human relations are much harder, especially tricky situations like this.