Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Finally

Too much emotion.....



........I can't make any phone calls now, presumably because every last person in New York City is calling everybody they know, and the network is flooded.

This is quite possibly the best night of my life, and I can't imagine anything that would rival it (maybe an Indians World Series).

I never thought I'd say this, but I gotta say: Sarah Palin was right.

There will be time down the road to say "but what about...", "what if...", "can we", or "now what."




For now, let's just celebrate, toast the voters, and above all......




toast Barack Obama.

Thank you, Barack. From the deepest part of my heart and soul, thank you.


.......UPDATE: I just saw on TV Jesse Jackson absolutely bawling. Seeing one of the guys who was there when Martin Luther King Jr. was killed seeing this finally was just overwhelming. I'm inexpressably happy for him and all those who fought for civil rights, regardless of the form of the battle or the generation they are a part of.

.....UPDATE II: I wanted to go to Harlem pretty badly (only a few blocks from where I live), but I wanted to see Obama's speech more, so we ended up at a local bar. Honestly, if Obama went on television every night with speeches, I'd watch TV every night.

My wife says the atmosphere here in New York, with people cheering on the streets, smiling, and honking car horns, is like winning the World Cup (and she should know - Brazil does have 5 championships). I joke with her that the difference is that when Brazil wins a World Cup, it doesn't determine if a global power is going to end up getting in more wars or not.

OK - it's relatively late, and the booze has flowed freely tonight (to make up for the despondent drunkenness I had to endure in 2004). This is truly a historic, monumental, amazing night, and with all the potential for hyperbole aside, I can honestly say that for the first time in my life since I was old enough to ask politically pointed questions and be sarcastic and cynical, I actually feel really pretty good about where this country could (not necessarily will - that's up to Obama, now) go.

An awesome, awesome, awesome night. Thanks to all those who helped make this happen (I'm particularly looking in your direction, Sarah.....)