Thursday, November 09, 2006

Malaysian Food

One of the world's unknown culinary centers is Malaysia. Today, Americans (or at least the ones I know) eat food from Thailand, Vietnam, Japan, Korea, and other Asian nations, but how many of you have eaten at Malaysian restaurants? Perhaps readers in larger cities have this option but in the middle-sized city of Albuquerque, we don't.

Check out this Times article about Malaysian food. My own experiences in Malaysia are slightly different--I wasn't eating at nice restaurants. But I can tell you that the street food in Malaysia is pretty freaking good. Best Malaysian meal I had this summer--a very simple pineapple curry with green beans. Seems so simple as to be boring, but the spices in the curry combined with the sweetness of the pineapple was out of this world.

I certainly recommend eating at a Malaysian restaurant if you have the chance. Even better, go there!