Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Decemberists

I like the new Decemberists album quite a bit. They're one of the best bands playing today. But I'm getting scared. Some of the songs on the new album are venturing a bit close to 70s-style art rock for me. Now I confess I have a bit of a soft spot for pretension in music, but only a little. Do we really need 11 mintue songs? Some of the instrumental parts sound scarily like something Yes might have put together if they weren't quite such bigtime wankers.

You know, there's nothing wrong with a 3 minute kick ass song. I still like this album. But I'm getting a little worried about where a lot of rock is going right now.

ADDENDUM: I take some of this back. Listening to the album as I write, I am deeply disturbed by the Keith Emerson-esque keyboard work on the second track, which like any good ELP album is split into 4 different sections. Why?