Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Lamest Movie Recommendation Ever

I went and saw Charlie Kaufman's new film, Synecdoche, New York, last night, and I can unqualifiedly say that it is amazing, beautiful, mind-boggling, and everybody (or at least everybody who reads this blog) should go see it. I can't think of a film that ever appealed so directly to me and issues I've been dealing with personally before, and that has kept me thinking for anything more than 3 hours after I saw it (I'm still only now digesting and wrestling with portions of the film).

That said, there are so many parts of the film that I can't explain or figure out, with no clue sometimes what Kaufman was trying to do, that I'm rather puzzled. What's more, it's one of those films that strikes me as almost impossible to do justice in trying to explain it. So just trust me on this - everybody should go see this movie. It may be Kaufman's best (and strangest) work to date, up there if not better than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.